Chedi Summer Promotion
- "The suppression of ideas and thought is a major sin, and we will never allow anyone to stifle freedom of thought." (His Majesty Sultan Qaboos Bin Said)
- Phuket Diving on Weekend Family Buffet at ShangThai (MGM)
- fifa14 ut coins on “Meet Oman’s Bloggerati” – Y Magazine
- Browse Around Here Nutrisystem Discount Code on “Seven Priceless Experiences in Oman”
- ภาพรับปริญญา on “Seven Priceless Experiences in Oman”
- http://Gg.gg/2za64 on Elevation Burger, Muscat Grand Mall (“Ingredients Matter”)
- Shamlee on Interested in Teaching English in Oman?!
- Gopi K on Impressive Yet Relatively Unknown Fort of Ibri
- Gopi K on The Breath-Taking Salalah-Hasik Road!!! Mountains, Cliffs and Beaches!
- rainish on Omantel – Worst Customer Service in Oman!
- A-Z Animal Names on Dubai Mall: The Largest Mall in the World
- flop show on Intensive IELTS Preparation Course
- ddee on Korean Choice Restaurant & Guesthouse
- jpgorvett on “The Wicked Witch of Dhofar’s House”…and Other Horror Stories from Salalah
- targetmarketingmag.com on Silk Route: Chinese & Thai Cuisine
- Worth the Wait Kind of Love | foodishlyinlove on Manhattan Fish Market, 18 November Street, Azaiba
- Restaurants: Quick-Find Guide
- Braving the Muscat-Salalah Road! Only for the Adventurous!
- Manhattan Fish Market, 18 November Street, Azaiba
- Tourist Sites
- Canon - Muscat Main Branch in Al-Araimi Complex
- "Animal World", Muscat, Oman
- Latin Dance Muscat - New Classes from September 2012
- Marine Science & Fisheries Centre, Sidab, Oman
- Local Blogs I Enjoy
- Is "The Lost City of Ubar" Found or Still Lost?! Shisr, Southern Oman
- Ads (57)
- Amazing Grace (38)
- Amouage (1)
- Animals (44)
- Art (117)
- Beach Games (8)
- Beaches (97)
- Blogging (55)
- Books (20)
- charity (45)
- church (149)
- concert (38)
- culture (159)
- desert (5)
- Dubai (23)
- Duqm (4)
- education/language (44)
- fashion (1)
- Fireworks (9)
- Forts (61)
- Fun Things To Do (94)
- Gadgets Toys and Products (16)
- guest speaker (8)
- Health (33)
- History (103)
- Hotel (67)
- Humor (54)
- Ibri (57)
- Language Problems (27)
- Magazines (12)
- Masirah Island (5)
- Mountains (47)
- Movies (37)
- Musandam (9)
- Muscat Festival (28)
- Museums (34)
- Muttrah (40)
- Nizwa (3)
- Oman in the News (102)
- parenthood (46)
- Parks (23)
- Photo Challenge (33)
- Products (13)
- Rants (49)
- restaurants (141)
- ROP (5)
- Royal Opera House Muscat (23)
- Salalah (43)
- Scuba (17)
- Sermon (32)
- Sifah (6)
- Sinkholes (5)
- social events (71)
- Sohar (12)
- Some Thoughts (240)
- Sports (45)
- Teaching Overseas (1)
- The Bible (105)
- tourist sites (165)
- Toys (1)
- Turtles (7)
- UAE (46)
- Uncategorized (223)
- Wadis (37)
- Waterfalls (8)
September 2014 S S M T W T F « Jul 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- 1,570,766 hits
Category Archives: Language Problems
Wrong. As in, “there’s something wrong here”. Maybe the “wrong” in your picture is obvious, or maybe it’s quite subtle and takes a deeper look to notice – help your readers to understand what’s “wrong” in your picture.
It was so WRONG of this person to park like this, leaving me with about an inch to try to get in my car! I had to enter in the passenger’s seat! I could only guess as to what that “A” on the license plate stands for. I could write an entire blog just of pics and stories of wrong parking and driving here in the Sultanate!
I thought this sign was odd and possibly wrong the first time I saw it. It is found on a wide and long stretch of highway near Mussannah, Oman. If you think it’s a warning that an airplane might land on the road, you might not be entirely wrong. It means “Beware of low flying aircraft”. It later made sense when I realized that it’s located on the stretch of highway near Mussannah Airforce Base! ;-)
Can you catch what’s wrong here on this sign located on the entrance of a mosque in Rustaq?
I know there’s nothing “technically wrong” with this sign, but it just seems wrong to me no matter how hard someone tries to explain it to me. No disrespect intended-just my opinion.
This sign is located near a hot spring and I think this wrong translation is trying to tell people not to wash their cars in that location.
If you enjoy locating things that seem wrong or “just not right|, you’ll enjoy this gentleman’s experience in the Middle East and Africa as he captures things on his blog that are “Not Quite Right”.
Anything seem odd to you when reading this classified ad from one of the local English papers here in Muscat?
I think the person posting this ad meant to write “to be shared with only one “ROOMMATE“ (or “FLATMATE” as some Brits might say) but using the term “inmate” gives the impression that there are prison cells being rented out! Scenes from Single White Female and Silence of the Lambs came to mind when reading this ad, haha! Lord knows some roommates can sure act a lot more like inmates! ;-)
I sometimes have to scratch my head in bewilderment when reading papers here in Oman. In the Matrimony Section of Muscat Daily I keep seeing ads worded like this one:
OK…so this girl is “convent-educated” – I get that…but she’s seeking a groom who is “convent-educated”?! Does that seem odd to anyone else out there? Hello?! Doesn’t “convent-educated” mean that you have lived or at least stayed in a convent for a certain period of time? And isn’t it usually nuns that go to a convent? And, correct me if I’m wrong, (Am I really going out on a limb here?!) but aren’t the majority of (dare I so ALL!) nuns actually “women”?! Things that make me go “Hmm…”!
This is too funny to be true! A contract company in Egypt was asked to put “Diesel Fuel” and “No Smoking” IN ARABIC on a line of fuel-tankers. This is the final product:
HA! HA! Priceless! :-) Talk about “lost in translation” or following something so literally that you miss the entire point! And if you think I’m making this up, check out the source here at The Guardian in the UK.